Cylinder safety basics
Your safety is important to us
Safety is the first priority at Air Liquide Healthcare. We take your safety and that of our employees very seriously. This cylinder safety basics guide provides you information on safe handling, transporting and storage of your Air Liquide Healthcare medical cylinders.
Important cylinder precautions
While transporting cylinders
- Detach regulators and other accessories from the cylinder
- Secure cylinders against movement during transport
- Where possible, use mechanical lifting devices, trolleys or carry bags to move cylinders
- Use open or well ventilated vehicles or trailers in preference to enclosed ones
- Limit the number of cylinders to be transported
While handling cylinders
- No smoking or naked flame near a cylinder usage or storage area
- Never use oil, grease based products on the cylinder or any accessories
- Wash your hands with soap to ensure clean and free of oils or hand creams
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (glasses, boots, gloves), particular for large cylinders
- Never use adaptors with valve or force connect a regulator
- Open cylinder valve slowly and point it away from people
- Report any suspected tampering, theft, impact or malfunction of a cylinder or attachment
- Always have the MSDS on hand for reference and follow recommended handling instructions
- Close the cylinder valve and regulator when not in use
- Never drop cylinders or subject them to shock
While storing cylinders
- Always display a “NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAMES” sign
- Storage areas should be kept 3 meters from heat sources or combustible materials
- Store cylinders away from oils or grease
- Never store flammable gas near oxidising gases
- Never store objects on top of the cylinder
- Always rotate cylinders - first come, first used
- Store gases in well ventilated areas
- Keep cylinders upright and restrained at all times
- Separate full and empty cylinders
- If something is wrong with a cylinder
- Label as “suspect”
- Put in quarantine
- Notify us immediately
Air Liquide Healthcare - Cylinder Safety BasicsDownload the document PDF (8.58 MB)
Do you need pricing or more information?
Our team will listen to your needs and answer your questions, to help identify the right equipment and services for your facility.
Talk to us
6990 Creditview Road, Unit 6
Mississauga, ON L5N 8R9
Why choose us
Full-scope medical gases provider
We are involved from production to patient therapy, and know medical gases intimately
You can depend on us to provide you with the right equipment and services to meet your facility's needs
Innovation is our vision: we prioritize quality of care through patient-centric products and services
Ensuring the safety of your patients and staff is our top priority - our emphasis is on safety, compliance and risk management
We are owned by Air Liquide Group, the largest supplier of industrial, medical & specialty gases, found on every continent in the world
Coast-to-coast service network
Our fill plants are widespread to shorten response-time and ensure supply chain reliability
Accreditation and regulation
We help you ensure your facility's medical equipment is serviced and fully compliant with Canadian standards
We supply a complete range of high-quality specialty gases, including mixtures used in specific applications to suit your needs
We have over 100 years of experience serving Canadian hospitals with a safety and efficiency-first approach - so you can focus on your patient care.
We are a trusted partner to healthcare professionals and local medical clinics in Canada, providing expertise in medical gases and related equipment.
Our dental nitrous oxide and medical oxygen solutions are easy to use so you can retain your focus where it really matters – on your patients.
Labs & research facilities
We have a complete range of solutions for labs including cryogenic gases and pipeline systems, dry shippers/dewars and more.
Emergency medical services
We help emergency crews respond faster by providing reliable equipment to medical gases, training and ongoing support.